Posted Saturday, May07, 2011
Next time you want to make a bold statement, try saying it with color... it can work wonders!
Depending on what type of message or meaning you wish to convey, the color combinations you choose can support, emphasize, or contradict your message. Not only does color stimulate the senses, but it also symbolizes abstract concepts and thoughts, expresses fantasy or wish fulfillment, and produces an aesthetic or emotional response.
According to the Institute for Color Research, humans make a subconscious judgement about a person, environment, or item within 90 seconds of initial viewing, and the majority of that assessment is based on color alone. Because color delivers an instant impression that is generally understood universally, color is very important in conveying a mood or idea where verbiage is not used or understood.
The power of color combinations can also be seen on many levels of marketing communication, including corporate identification and logos, signage, television ads, billboards, print media, and packaging, websites, and on point-of-sale displays.
Listed below is a small list of dominant colors, and the responses they elicit -
- Red - Exciting / Energizing / Sexy / Hot / Dynamic / Stimulating / Proactive / Aggressive / Powerful
- Bright Pink - Happy / Attention-Getting / Youthful / Spirited / Fun / Wild
- Light Pink - Romantic / Soft / Sweet / Tender / Cute / Babies
- Orange - Fun / Childlike / Harvest / Juicy / Friendly / Loud
- Beige - Classic / Sandy / Earthy / Natural / Soft
- Brown - Wholesome / Warm / Woodsy / Rustic / Durable / Masculine
- Purple - Royalty / Powerful / Expensive
- Light Blue - Calm / Quiet / Peaceful / Cool / Water / Clean
- Bright Blue - Electric / Vibrant / Stirring / Dramatic
- Bright Yellow - Enlightening / Sunshine / Cheerful / Friendly / Energy / Happy
- Black - Powerful / Elegant / Mysterious / Bold / Classic / Magical / Nighttime
- Silver - Classic / Cool / Money / Valuable / Futuristic
- Gold - Warm / Opulent / Expensive / Radiant / Valuable / Prestigious